Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hola from Espana.

Sad to say that we get NO sports whatsoever on the ship, which is probably a good thing. However, we did miss the Ducks beating Purdue in 2nd overtime, as well as USC stomping all over Ohio State.

Well, we were up and off to Vigo, Spain today. Since town is right near port, we decided to bypass a guided excursion and just went out on our own. It is a Sunday here, so much of Vigo is closed, which is actually kind of nice. It’s a very peaceful town, unlike all the others that we have been to so far that are extremely busy.

Walking around Vigo, it’s a very quaint city with beautiful old brick buildings. Very quiet, though. There’s not much to see or do in town but to walk around and enjoy the scenery. We started walking along one of the side streets towards this old run-down building that we saw from a distance. It appeared to be a worn down factory, but I’m not entirely sure. It was neat. Across the street was this big cinder cross mounted in the middle of a green hillside. There were steps going all up with people trekking back and forth. Out of sheer curiousity, I forced Jeff to hike up the hill with me—I literally had to pay him 20 euro to quit complaining about the hike and keep going. Finally, after 20 minutes of him reassuring me “There’s nothing up here”, we hit the top and came across some sort of historical ruins. We had no guide and there were no posts up to tell of the history so we don’t know what it was, but it was beautiful—not to mention the hike up was gorgeous. It looks like some sort of fortress or small castle that sits atop the highest hill in the city and overlooks it. Took some amazing pictures to share. Overall, the few hours spent in Vigo were nice. It was a beautiful and peaceful city, despite the abundance of graffiti along the buildings and historical sites.

With not much else to see or do in Vigo on a Sunday, we headed back to the boat for some much needed rest and relaxation.


Yeah, so here is our ship. It's kind of small and modest. 
This was the view from the top of the hill. The building there is part of the castle/fortress that was at the top. Amazing.
So I could not stop laughing at this. We walked around a corner and I just laughed my head off. Then I took a picture. Then I took a picture with it. Jeff suggested that I might have been desecrating some royal person's tomb. I like to think we bonded.
Jeff enjoying a beer at the top of the hill. 
The scenery on our way back to the boat.
The cathedral in Vigo, Spain. This was the first building we came across on our way into town.
Jeff's favorite part of spain. He particularly liked the way the light hit it a certain way...coincidence? Jeff likes to think that God smiles upon Mac.
I love this picture. For some reason I found it so beautiful.
Another beautiful part of spain. The buildings are so beautiful because they are old and rustic looking, and then are surrounded by flowers and greenery that just blow you away.
This was the walk up to the top. Now you see why I was curious and why it would have been worth it, even if there was nothing at the top.


P.S.--HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELISSA!!! WE LOVE YOU!!

And we miss everybody. We have been longing to call and hear voices, but its $6.99 a minute to use a phone. YIKES!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heyyyyy thanks for the birthday wishes! And...also....here was my response to the picture of you standing next to the "tiny hiny" tomb or statue or whatever it was: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's pretty much it. I laughed so hard, I'm thinking about saving it to my desktop at school and looking at it whenever I'm having a tense, stressful "teacher needs a timeout from you high school kids" moment. Anyhoo, just wanted to tell you guys that we all miss you and love you and yes there are people out here reading your blogs. And no pressure or anything, but you have to keep making us laugh. Seriously hilarious. Looks like you two are having a great time. :) luv u

love,
Miss

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also i couldn't remember my user name or password as a blogger so i will continue to post as "anonymous" and then sign my name. hahahhahahaha i am awesome.

MELISSA

see, told you i would

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home